Night flight with an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV)
In EU air law, the night begins at the end of the bourgeois twilight and begins with the bourgeois dawn.
During this period, all aircraft (and thus also unmanned aerial vehicles and flight models) require special warning lights (above and below flashing in the colour white) to avoid collisions and position lights, according to an EU implementing regulation (SERA 923/2012 point 3215): Positionslichter:
- In the direction of flight left: red, flashing.
- In the direction of flight right: green, flashing.
- Opposite the direction of flight: white, flashing.
No other lights may be kept that can be confused with the aforementioned lights. The colour, position and minimum luminosity of the required lighting regulates Appendix 1 to Sections 17 and 19 paragraphs 7 LuftVO.
This extract from SERA.3215 describes when the lights leading by aircraft to aircraft must be switched on and off:
A pilot may turn off flashing lights installed to meet the requirements of this Regulation or reduce their intensity if they could impair or impair the proper performance of duties or could blind or dazzle a third party in a harmful manner.
In any case, no other lights may be kept at night, which can be confused with the lights described here.
If none of these conditions are met, all aircraft must have the following lights at night:
1. Collision warning lights that draw attention to the aircraft, and
2. Position lights indicating the flight path of an aircraft relative to an observer
In addition, all aircraft that are located on the movement surface of an airfield (e.g. runway, runway, etc.) must be used during the day as well as at night. …
1. … move,position lights indicate the path of the aircraft relative to an observer
2. … befindenunless they are standing and are otherwise sufficiently illuminated, light lights shall be lit which, where possible, the outermost points of their structure
3. … roll or towed, carry lights that draw attention to the aircraft, and
4. … whose engines are running,running lights that indicate this.